THE HEALTHYish CINNAMON APPLE DOUGHNUTS
RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY BY ALICE SZABO
After the great feedback we received from Alice's recipe in Volume One. It was a necessity to make sure we included her in our second issue. In Volume Two she explains that this recipe was created for her Mother and her love of doughnuts.
Healthy doughnuts... What's not to love?
FOR THE RINGS
4-5 Large Apples
150g Plain Flour
¼ Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Sugar
¼ Tsp Salt
¼ Tsp Cinnamon
1 Large Egg, Beaten
1 Cup of Buttermilk
Veg Oil for Frying
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR
1/3 cup of Sugar
2 Tsps Cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and buttermilk. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- In a shallow dish, make your cinnamon-sugar topping by combining the sugar and 2 cinnamon. Set aside.
- Next, slice the apples into ¼-inch thick slices, and use circle biscuit cutters in graduated sizes to make rings out of each slice. Make sure you don’t discard the middle bits as they make just as yummy a treat. Pop the sliced apples onto a piece of kitchen roll to soak up excess moisture.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan to roughly 170 Celsius to ensure the middle of the apples are properly cooked.
- Dip the apple rings in the batter one at a time and fry the rings in small batches, turning to ensure browning on both sides.
- Once the rings are crispy, transfer them to a plate with kitchen roll to soak up excess oil for a few seconds then coat in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Transfer to wire rack and serve warm!
We would love to see how your doughnuts turn out! Follow us on Instagram, @inclovermagazine and remember to use the hashtag #inclovermagazine